Questions to Ask on your Breast Augmentation Consultation
No type of cosmetic surgery should be undertaken lightly and if you are considering breast augmentation, you are undoubtedly doing a great deal of research before making your final decision. Most forms of cosmetic surgery provide the patient with a permanent change to their appearance, and while breast implants can be removed, doing so requires further surgery and a recovery period before you return to your prior shape which you were previously unhappy with.
While there is plenty of information available online, and you may have been speaking to other women you know about their procedures, it is essential that you find out the facts from a professional and your consultation is the perfect time to do just that. Not only will you want to ask our surgeon questions about the procedure itself, but you will also want to ensure that your chosen professional has the skill, experience and bedside manner to gain your confidence and trust and produce the fantastic transformation that you deserve.
To help you find the right surgeon and put your mind at rest with regards to your breast augmentation procedure, we have put together some questions to ask on your breast augmentation consultation.
Questions about our surgeon
- Which medical school did you attend and where did you do your plastic surgery residence training?
- Are you board certified?
- Can you tell me about your ongoing commitment to education and training in the field?
- How many breast implant procedures do you perform annually?
- What percentage of your practice does breast augmentation account for?
- What type of implants do you use?
- What is the most common complication you encounter with breast augmentation surgery?
- How many complications do you see compared to the number of breast augmentation procedures you perform? What type are they?
- How many reoperations do you perform?
- Can I see examples of your work? (Any good surgeon will be delighted to ‘show off’ the results of previous procedures)
Questions about the breast augmentation procedure
- How long does the procedure take?
- What happens during the procedure?
- What type of anesthetic will I be given?
- What risks are associated with the use of anesthesia?
- Will my nipples be relocated?
- How long will I be in pain after my breast augmentation?
- Will I be given pain medication to help ease my discomfort?
- What scarring can I expect?
- How long will my recovery take?
- What happens if I get an infection?
General questions about breast augmentation surgery
- What is the difference between the types of implant offered and why are you recommending a certain type for me?
- How will we decide which size implant I need?
- What will my breasts feel like after breast augmentation?
- Will I experience any loss of sensation in my breast or nipple?
- Have you got any example of how my breasts might look after my surgery that I can see beforehand?
- How long can I expect my breast implants to last?
- Will I need my breast implants replaced?
- What are the risks associated with breast augmentation surgery?
- What happens if I want to change the size of my implants later on?
- How will my implants affect how my breasts change if I become pregnant?
- Will I be able to breastfeed?
- Can I still have breast implants if I have a family history of breast cancer?
- Can I still have mammograms with breast implants in place?
- What are my options if I am unhappy with the results of my breast augmentation surgery?
An experienced, dedicated and knowledgeable plastic surgeon is essential for a successful breast augmentation procedure. Don’t settle for anyone who isn’t prepared to share their success and take the time to answer your questions and put you at ease about your breast augmentation surgery.
If you would like further information about breast augmentation surgery, our team have the extensive knowledge, experience and personable nature you need to put your mind at ease. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your query.